Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Is There a Right or Wrong Way to Get a Sponsor?


While I am certainly no AA guru, I will share a couple of things I feel that are important. Please feel free to send your comments if you have anything to add.

Getting an AA Sponsor

In my opinion there are certain things to look for in a sponsor - he or she should ideally have worked the 12 steps and have a sponsor.

Really though, I believe there is a lot of power in just taking the ACTION of getting sponsor.

More thoughts:
1) I do not think that there is a right or a wrong way to get a sponsor, the only possible wrong way I feel, would be not to get one at all.

2) I feel that one of the very most important things is that we are willing enough to take the action and get out of our comfort zone and do something for our own recovery.

I feel it would be a tremendous sense of surrender to take that direction of finding a sponsor weather it is the right one or not (in a short time we will know). More importantly, by the time we are looking for a sponsor, we probably have a desire to stop drinking or drugging and may suspect that we are powerless over drugs and alcohol and our lives have become unmanageable.

3) If possible I would like to try to take some of the fear out of it (getting a sponsor)

Most all of us had someone show us how to take that first drink, pill, snort, or hit. A sponsor is just going to help us on another journey a clean and sober one through the steps that can be foreign and a little scary.



I hope this was helpful and I would love to hear any feedback or questions.

- Kelly Kettle

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home