Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tool For Recovery - Higher Power, Lack of Power

If a mere code of morals or a better philosophy of life were sufficient to overcome alcoholism, many of us would have recovered long ago. But we found that such codes and philosophies did not save us, no matter how much we tried. We could wish to be moral, we could wish to be philosophically comforted, in fact, we could will these things with a all our might, but the needed power wasn’t there. Our human resources, as marshaled by the will, were not sufficient; they failed utterly.

"Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?
Well, that’s exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find a Power greater that yourself which will solve your problem.” (bb pp. 44-45)

I relate deeply with this passage. I wanted to be good, moral, do the right thing and thought that was where I was heading. But as the years rolled by and my drinking got worse, I certainly was doing a lot of things that were not good. And no matter what I tried, I could not control my drinking. I didn’t realize at the time, but now looking back I know that I had partially surrendered and was willing to get some outside help. Through AA, and working the steps, I have tapped into a Power greater than myself. I am staying sober and making better decisions. I pray to God and never get so full of myself that I one day completely believe I can run my own life.
Tool for today: seek your Higher Power.

Brought to you by our treatment center in Southern California

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home