Monday, April 11, 2011

From Entitled Brats to Ladies and Gentlemen

How long do you think it will take a spoiled brat to become a lady or a gentlemen?

Before you answer that question... I would also like to add in the equation that he or she is now hopelessly addicted to drugs or alcohol.


I know for myself it was a rude awakening to realize at 38 years old, I was nothing more then a spoiled rotten little brat with huge entitlement issues (and yes, hopelessly addicted to drugs and alcohol).

Although "they" had been recommending long term rehab (or extended care) "for over 20 years, I was able to "figure out another plan" that allowed me to stay sick. Whether I did it intentionally or not - that is what I did.

I will spare you the details of my sordid [ast up until 10/5/03 and just assure you I lost everything- and I mean everything.

My message to you is simple: if you or a loved one comes to the conclusion that you may have a problem with alcohol or drugs, please consider my first question very seriously.

As alcoholics and addicts we suffer from childlike emotions, If we really knew how to live life,  we would have grown up a long time ago.

The longer people stay in treatment, the better their chances are they will get to grow. I have seen miracles.

The process requires taking part in contrary action - call it "tough love" if you want. Loved ones who "co-sign" the sick decisions of an addict in need of recovery cause the problem to get worse, not better.

I had been doing band-aid jobs on a gaping cut my whole life. I almost died.

Please, as painful as it may be, ask yourself if question number one applies.

And if it does, be rigorously honest when you answer it.


Anonymous

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home